Monday, October 24, 2011

What is the best way to revive an old truck after sitting about 3 years?

Yes, yes, 3 years? For shame. But seriously, It is all original aside from a change to a modern alternator. It has a 4.8L In line-6 Manual 3 on steering column. I have driven it before but put it aside after I found the fuel problem was attributed to a rusty tank. I only took out the tank and it has been sitting since. I already know the parts it needs to make it legal and safe. My main concerns are: How nitty-gritty can I get into detail without spending too much? What should I look for that one might not think of? Should I try to roll it over immediately? What's best to use to flush coolant/carbon/etc.? I'm not restoring it quite yet. Therefore I could care less if you tell me to lower it or the like. And yes it probably %26quot;the best%26quot; way would be to rebuild it again but let's be realistic here. I'm not doing anything to it I don't have to unless it's preventative and at least somewhat quick and easy. Details please.What is the best way to revive an old truck after sitting about 3 years?What year is the truck? If it's a 40's or 50's truck, I would remove the plugs, put a couple ounces of oil into each cylinder, and check the plug gap and condition. If they look good, let it sit for a couple of days, then crank it with the plugs still out. If it cranks ok, put the plugs back in, supply it with fresh fuel, and see if it will start. It may smoke for awhile, but as long as it's firing on all cylinders, that will probably go away. Bleed your brakes by running in fresh brake fluid, and see if you still have a brake system. Air up the tires, and see if she drives. Once you get the engine warmed up, drain the oil, and change the oil and filter. I assume you are replacing the fuel tank, and will drain the lines and put a new fuel filter in. A splash of fresh fuel down the carb should let the engine fire up, at least initially. Once you get it running and driveable, you' ll have to take care of whatever is deteriorated. You also might want to hit all the grease fittings, and change the lube in the transmission and rear axle, and maybe repack the front wheeel bearings. If you are going to keep the truck, I would subscribe to %26quot;Hemming's Motor News%26quot; and see about finding a set of manuals for the truck. You can also find all kinds of original and new parts in Hemmings, which will either help you keep the truck stock, or assist you if you are going to update it. When you mention putting on an alternator, I assume you had an old style generator on it before. Good luck with it.What is the best way to revive an old truck after sitting about 3 years?change all fluids and filters give it a good tune up but leave the plugs out see if you can remove the dist to get to the oil pump to re prime the system before actually trying to fire itWhat is the best way to revive an old truck after sitting about 3 years?3 speed on the column must be a '70s truck, well you'll need to change the oil and I would squirt some oil on the pistons through the spark plug holes and all over the valves, you really should oil the crankshaft bearings but that would involve taking the motor apart and it doesn't sound like you want to do that, don't forget to change the oil in the tranny and the differential, so then try it hope it starts for ya if it does and I see ya on the road I'll honk my horn and tip my hat to ya I learned to drive on an old 3 speed on the column ChevyWhat is the best way to revive an old truck after sitting about 3 years?The first thing is to remove spark plugs or injectors , fill cylinders with a mixture of kerosene (PARAFFIN) and oil leave for 12 hours then turn engine by hand once free use starter until engine free and easy , then fill each cylinder with petrol and turn over by hand until all fuel cylinders are dry replace plugs spray all leads and electrics with WD40 or equivalent solution and start engine , This will ensure that you do not damage the rings beyond repair also the cylinder walls.
  • submit case after
  • vb
  •